Cookies are not currently enabled in your web browser. It will not be possible to keep you logged in if cookies are not enabled. Please ensure that you enable cookies before continuing.
Create an Advance Decision
An Advance Decision is a legally binding document that can give you the confidence that should you lose the ability to make your own decisions, your wishes will be followed. The law, through an Advance Decision, allows you to say what treatments you do not want to receive should you lose the capacity to say so yourself.
Choosing which treatments you might wish to refuse
As the refusal for treatment is circumstance specific, this website offers you information and choices for your Advance Decision on specific conditions when an Advance Decision may be needed:
- Older people (including frailty)
- Stroke or head injury, including coma (from whatever cause)
Please go to the Chronic illnesses section of the website for information on creating Advance Decisions for the following conditions:
- Neuro-denerative disease, such as Motor Neurone Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Huntington's Disease
- Heart or chest disease, including heart or lung failure
- Kidney or liver disease, including kidney or liver failure